Electric shaving is the preferred method of shaving for men looking for convenience. Electric shavers are portable allowing you to shave on the go. They don’t require shaving cream making it less messy than wet shaving. They are also the preferred method for those with sensitive skin. The blades do not come in direct contact with your skin making you less vulnerable to cuts and irritation. If you’re ready to make the change, this guide will help you find the best electric razor for your personal needs.
Step 1. Determine Your Electric Razor Type
When looking for a new electric razor, you’ll find two choices on the shelves: foil electric and rotary electric. The best one for you depends upon the length of your facial hair, your hair’s thickness, and the sensitivity of your skin. While both razors are capable of removing hair, how they do so will determine the type and frequency of shave. Some men prefer to shave daily, while others like to shave as needed.
Let’s take a look at the differences:
Foil Electric Razor
Foil electric shavers come in 1 to 4 rows and are defined by rows of blades covered by a protective foil screen. Foil blades are best for individuals with short to medium length hair and average skin sensitivity who like to shave frequently. The foil comes off, making them easy to clean or change. The Panasonic ES-RT51-S shaver is equipped with 30° triple Nanotech blades positioned on a pivoting head to allow an accurate and close shave. This electric shaver also features a pop-up trimmer for sideburns or mustache grooming. This shaving machine has a power of 10,000 RPMs, allowing it to be capable of shaving through even the thickest beards.
Rotary Electric Razor
Rotary electric shavers have round, circular, blades that rotate and flex to the contours of your face. Rotary blades are great for long, coarse beards and sensitive skin. Rotary blades are the most durable, but also more difficult to clean. The Philips Norelco 1160X/42 SensoTouch Electric Razor with Jet Clean System offers a soft touch and a smooth shave. It uses a unique GyroFlex 2D technology to provide a superior shaving experience, and it includes a Jet Clean system that cleans, lubricates, and charges the razor for you. Powered by a lithium-ion battery for portable cordless operation, and packed with user-friendly features, the innovative SensoTouch 2D makes shaving a pleasure, not a chore.
Step 2. Focus on Key Features
Not every electric razor is made the same. In addition to different types of blades, some come with accessories, charge type and designs. Knowing which to look for will help save you time and money. However, don’t scrimp on the basics. Electric shaving will usually cost more upfront, but boasts longer term savings than disposable shaving.
Here are the most common features you’ll find:
- Trimmers and Attachments – Many electric razors come with their share of trimming attachments, the larger the selection, the more expensive the shaver often is. This boils down to personal preference. Buy what you’re most likely to use, and don’t fall for marketing hype.
- Rechargeable – Rechargeable models are usually cordless which allow for optimal convenience and shaving on the go. In order to get the most effective shave with a rechargeable make sure the shaver is fully charged. A fully charged battery will give you optimal shaving power. Make sure to look at the battery life as well as quick charge features that will get your shaver ready in a matter of minutes.
- Corded – Corded shavers are less convenient and usually cheaper. Their unique advantage is that they’re always attached to a power source ensuring you’re always shaving with optimal power.
- Wet or Dry – Do you like to shave in the shower? If so, a water resistant shaver is the choice for you. Some models claim to have this feature, but don’t function optimally under wet conditions. Help Hint: Look for models that can be completely submerged under water for cleaning.
- Design – The size, shape, and design of the shaver is important because it determines its ease of use. The more stylish, compact, shaver typically costs more money. Pay attention to the feel of the shaver in your hand. Is it easy to grip? Is it easy to control? How well do the heads contour to your face? Does it have a sleek, sexy design? Ask you self these questions when you’re in the market to buy.
Step 3. Listen to Feedback
Think of an electric razor like you would a television set. Place trust in a quality name brand that has proven success. Not only do they have a solid reputation of delivering quality products, but they also offer warranties to back up the quality of their product.
Here’s a list of the top electric shaving brands:
- User Reviews – User reviews are key. They are the next best thing to buying and trying the product yourself. User reviews give you an objective opinion on the quality and performance of a product. Before you buy, make sure to look for electric shaver reviews.
- Popular Products Lists – Top rated lists tie in directly with product reviews. These lists do the research for you and rank the top rated electric shavers based on user review, quality, and price.
Got a top tip on how to pick the best electric razor for men? Let us know in the comments!