What’s a moisturizer? It’s a question many men have, but few really know the answer. To find out, let’s break down the word moisturizer.
Moisture- wetness or dampness. “Izer” or “izing” doesn’t really have a definition, but it’s always tacked onto the end of a word. It means “to make,” “to infuse” or something similar.
Here’s what else we know:
A moisturizer is a skin product.
So, after knowing all of the above information, we can deduce that a moisturizer is something that helps bring up the quality of dry or wrinkled skin.
Just in case you needed to know.
Now, more importantly, you may be wondering why you need a moisturizer. The main reasons for maintaining a moisturizer regimen are twofold.
- Dry skin: Of course, the number one reason to use a moisturizer is to add moisture (what else?) to dry skin. Dry skin problems can often be brought on by using the wrong type of soap or by showering too much. Those with dry skin should always use a face wash for sensitive skin before beginning a moisturizing regimen.
- Oily skin: People who suffer from oily skin, and thus probably have problems with acne, should use a moisturizer for the opposite reasons as those with dry skin. Moisturizers for oily skin will make skin drier, draining the oil from the face and leaving it balanced.
- Wrinkles: Some moisturizers claim that they can rid skin of wrinkles and halt the aging process. These creams and gels will not de-age you, but some do slow down the process.
Skin cancer is a serious concern, and definitely the top concern when it comes to your skin. While moisturizers cannot prevent or treat skin cancer, they do aid in preventing sun damage. Some also contain SPF or sunscreen. If you are outside a lot, it is probably a good idea to use one of these moisturizers. It will save a step in the grooming process.
Products to try
- Neutrogena Men- Age Fighter Face Moisturizer SPF 15
- Anthony Logistics for Men All Purpose Facial Moisturizer
- Nivea for Men Energy Face Care Gel Moisturizer