A man’s thirties is an important time in his life. Often he’s adjusting to life as a father and career man, accomplishing such goals as buying his dream home and building the life he always dreamed about. During this time, a man’s grooming needs also change as he transitions from young man to full-blown adulthood.
For the thirty-something man, here are a few grooming essentials:
- Skincare. Aging begins to show in your thirties, with skin becoming less prone to oiliness. For this reason, you’ll need a cleanser with very little astringent to prevent your skin from drying out. A moisturizer with SPF 15 is important to protect your skin, as well as sunscreen every time you plan to be outdoors.
- Eye cream. If you begin to notice under-eye bags or darkness, eye creams can help reduce that, as well as protect your eyes.
- Teeth whitening. Drinking coffee or other dark beverages can stain your teeth and no amount of brushing can make them white again. Dental whitening is very effective, but it can be costly. If you can’t afford the real thing, over-the-counter whitening products are great for returning your front teeth to their original brightness.
- Hair thickening. Once you hit your thirties, you may notice your hair is beginning to thin. Your hairline may even be receding. One easy way to make hair look thicker is to wash it more often. Greasy, dirty hair tends to cling to the scalp more, making it look thinner. Don’t buy into the old wives’ tale that washing your hair makes you lose it more quickly. Beware of products that promise to thicken the hair, but if you’re really concerned about hair loss, visit a specialist and consider such treatments as hair implants.
- Shaving. Heading to work with a piece of toilet tissue attached to your face is no longer excusable. Invest in a good electric razor and use it regularly. Be sure to keep the hair on the back of your neck in check, as well, shaving it in between hair appointments. Use shaving cream to avoid nicks and aftershave to refresh the skin. Since shaving exfoliates, it also helps protect against wrinkles.
Your thirties are an exciting time as you begin to better settle into who you are and the life you’ve chosen. By protecting and moisturizing your skin, teeth, and hair, you can ensure you leave your thirties as healthy and youthful as you entered them.
Are you a 30-something? We’d like to hear from you. What grooming essentials do you recommend?