Katin, the original California surf company and lifestyle brand, is excited to launch its spring/summer 2015 collection, taking inspiration from a blend of legendary Katin seamstress Sato Hughes’ Japanese heritage, and Katin’s surf roots and standard of quality.
Sole seamstress of Katin Surf Shop since 1961, Hughes has meticulously handcrafted more than a quarter million trunks with her own hands over the years, and is still going strong with a work ethic that is second to none. The influence of her Japanese descent can be seen throughout the color story and print direction of the collection.
Shades of indigo complimented by dusty rose, 74’ beige, and heather mauve are used in natural fibers with unique texture and finishing washes while Japanese-inspired prints and vertical stripes run strong in graphics.
Key pieces include:
- Knits: The Flock Henley crew, a custom Japanese-inspired jacquard knit stripe. It’s different enough from all the usual suspects in the vast world of stripes and it borders the line of surf and fashion.
- Tops: The Rails has a unique and subtle vertical stripe herringbone weave with an indigo finish. From afar, it plays as a basic light indigo shirt, but up close the fine detail in the herringbone weave and the indigo finish are apparent.
- Shorts: The Patio elastic waist short is a must. Made from a cotton stretch blend fabric with the perfect vintage wash and lots of subtle details such as the tux stripe, double welt pockets and interior bias edge clean finish. It’s a weekend short not just a short for the day.
- Pant: The Camper jogger pant in navy is the ultimate chill pant with just the right fit, somewhere between your old gym sweats and your slim chinos. It’s made from an 8.5oz herringbone weave cotton with an indigo finish, the density of this herringbone gives it great depth and character.
- Trunks: The Beach Short trunk is the must-have. It’s the ultimate Katin basic made from a cotton/nylon blend in a solid colors via pigment print allowing them to fade with wear to create a one of a kind trunk. They are also hybridesque just simple draining front slash pockets, back flap pocket and a combo button/ drawcord waist closure.
- Graphic Tees: The Serenity tee is the perfect graphic to sum up the inspiration of the season and the brand.
The collection will make its debut at the following upcoming trade shows:
- AGENDA – New York (July 21 & 22)
- Liberty Fairs – Las Vegas (August 18-20)
- Surf Expo – Orlando (September 4-6)
Katin’s spring/summer 2015 collection will hit national retailers and better boutiques nationwide in early February and will retail between $28 – $75.
In the early 1950’s Nancy and Walter Katin were in the business of making canvas boat covers. It was upon request from local surfers that they made the first pair of custom canvas surf trunks. Word spread of their ability to withstand the demands of the sea and an industry was born. In 1976, Nancy initiated the annual Katin Pro/Am Team Challenge at the north side of Huntington Beach’s pier, a team event where amateur surfers can compete alongside the pros. Surf legends such as Kelly Slater and Tom Curren have won the Katin Pro/Am. Nancy passed away in 1986, leaving the company to Sato Hughes, her loyal seamstress. It is with the same mindset as the founders that Katin continues to provide trunks and clothing inspired by our heritage with an emphasis on quality products that are made in the USA.