On May 2nd and 3rd fans will pack Churchill Downs to celebrate “The Greatest Two Minutes in Sports” – the Kentucky Derby. The famed event is right around the corner, and there is no better way to celebrate than with a traditional Julep cocktail. Over 120,000 Juleps are served at the track during the two-day period, though none as fresh and modern as two options from Basil Hayden’s and Knob Creek Bourbon.
Combining the spicy, trademark finish of Basil Hayden’s Bourbon, with fresh blueberries, tart lime juice and refreshing mint, Basil Hayden’s® Jockey’s Julep puts a crisp twist on tradition, and brings modern flavor to a classic cocktail. Made with the World’s #1 Selling Super-Premium Bourbon, the Knob Creek Storyville Julep is also a fresh twist on the modern libation, this time with sweet honey syrup and pineapple juice.
Basil Hayden’s® Jockey’s Julep
Created by Rob Floyd (Los Angeles, CA)Basil Hayden’s and Knob Creek Juleps for the Kentucky Derby
- 2 parts Basil Hayden’s® Bourbon
- 8-10 Mint Leaves
- 8 Blueberries
- 1 part Fresh Lime Juice
- 3/4 parts Simple Syrup
1. Muddle mint leaves and blueberries in a mixing glass.
2. Add remaining ingredients and shake over ice.
3. Fine strain into a rocks glass with crushed ice.
4. Garnish with blueberries and a sprig of mint.
Knob Creek® Storyville Julep
Recipe by Bobby “G” Gleason, Beam Master MixologistBasil Hayden’s and Knob Creek Juleps for the Kentucky Derby
- 1½ parts Knob Creek® Bourbon
- ½ part Thin Honey Syrup (3 parts honey, 2 parts water)
- 1½ parts Fresh Pressed Pineapple Juice
- 6 Fresh Mint Leaves
- Club Soda
1. Muddle pineapple, honey syrup and mint in a tall highball glass.
2. Fill with ice, add Knob Creek® Bourbon and stir top with club soda.
3. Garnish with a pineapple clip and mint top.