In celebration of the Final Draw for the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia, Visa, the Official Payment Service Partner of FIFA, released data for the 2018 FIFA World Cup. Throughout official FIFA venues, Visa will enable a cash-free fan experience by implementing point-of-sale terminals that accept a Visa credit or debit card and a range of digital payments, such as those made via phone or watch.If you are planning to travel, Visa recommends travelers use a credit or debit card when making purchases for added security and when paying by card, pay in “local currency” for a competitive exchange rate.
“As the Official Payment Service Partner of FIFA, Visa is excited for fans all over the world to join us in Russia,” said Ekaterina Petelina, country manager, Visa Russia. “From unveiling the latest payment innovations to upgrading payment terminals to allow for contactless cards and digital payments, such as those made via phone or watch, throughout official venues, Visa will continue to elevate the fan experience. Visa provides simple and secure payment options for those in attendance, so they can get back to their seats quickly and focus on the match.”
Visa states the summer tournament anticipates close to 5 millionpeople travelling to Russia next summer. This includes 300-500K visitors from June – July on top of the baseline average of 4.3M international travelers during this time.Based on spending data from the 2014 World Cup, Russian eateries, transportation and lodging companies can expect to see an increase in sales as well, as visitors to Brazil in 2014 spent 31% more per card in these categories than regular tourists.
Know Before You Go
- Notify your issuing bank or financial institutionof anticipated travel plans, including use of Visa debit, credit or prepaid cards abroad to avoid any issues while processing transactions. Issuing banks can also provide information about travel-related benefits for Visa account holders, including opt-in mobile services, such asMobile Location Confirmationthrough your bank’s mobile app orVisa’s Travel Authorization Tag.
- Register for SMS notificationswith your specific bank, or the bank’s transaction notification service, to track purchases made on your Visa accounts as you travel.
- Set upautomatic bill payfor any credit cards to give you some peace-of-mind that your account will be current while traveling abroad.
- Maketwo copies of important travel documents, namely your passport, in case of emergency. Leave one copy with a friend or relative and carry the other separate from your original documents. You can also take a photo with your cellphone of important documents.
Travel Tips for Fans inRussia
- When paying by card,pay in “local currency”for a competitive exchange rate.
- Use a credit or debit cardfor purchases. Visa offers security, convenience and ease when paying abroad. It is safer than carrying cash.
- Whenever possible, pay through achip-activated terminalwhen using your credit or debit card for enhanced security.
- Look for theVisa or PLUS logo at any point-of-sale terminalto ensure international payment cards are accepted.
For additional information on Visa’s sponsorship of the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia™, visitwww.visa.com.